Bamboo and Plum Blossom

Bamboo and Plum Blossom

Bamboo and Plum Blossom

Bamboo and Plum Blossom
Bamboo and Plum Blossom

Monday, January 18, 2016

Anon. (1st. cent. BC)

THE EASTERN GATE

Anon. (first century B.C.).
A poor man determines to go out into the world and make his fortune. His wife tries to detain him.
 
I went out at the eastern gate:I never thought to return.But I came back to the gate with my heart full of sorrow.

There was not a peck of rice in the bin:There was not a coat hanging on the pegs.So I took my sword and went towards the gate.My wife and child clutched at my coat and wept:“Some people want to be rich and grand:I only want to share my porridge with you.Above, we have the blue waves of the sky:Below, the yellow face of this little child.”“Dear wife, I cannot stay.Soon it will be too late.When one is growing oldOne cannot put things off.”

No comments:

Post a Comment